Tuesday, March 5, 2013

When 1 gets sick...they all get sick...

Isn't that the truth!  We have heard this several times - "Just you wait, when one of your children gets sick, they will all get sick"...Oh boy - they weren't lying!

On Tuesday, February 19, Josh was at his basketball game while I was at conferences.  When I returned home to relieve our babysitter, I noticed that Callie felt VERY warm...so warm that her temperature was 102 degrees.  I gave her some Tylenol and we were on our way...this was only the beginning!

Josh stayed home with her the next day (Wednesday)...he actually kept all 3 kids home (I told him, heck, if you're keeping one home, mine as well keep them all...besides, whatever she has, the boys already have because they are always in each other's faces...

Thursday morning, Callie wasn't any better.  I stayed home with her and brought her into the doctor.  We were lucky enough to get into an appointment around 2:00, but later the nurse called and informed us that they were going to make room to see Callie, because her conditions were too severe to have her wait.  We were now going in at 10:00.  Knowing that everyone likes smoothies (or assuming), Callie and I stopped at Caribou and bought her doctor and nurse a smoothie to show our appreciation for making room to see Callie.  I know this sets back her day and will lead to her getting home late to see her own family.  But the fact that she put my daughter's health first is absolutely amazing.  Callie also colored them both pictures :)

Turns out - Callie had Croup.  1. Croup is VERY contagious (meaning the boys probably already have it).  2. It can be extremely serious in infants - GREAT...I have two of them :)  We called Jessica right away (actually right after talking to daddy), to check on the boys.  Before I told Jessica what the Dr. said about Callie, Jessica informed me that the boys started coughing...

When one is sick, they're all sick...

I also stayed home on Friday...but here's what pisses me off the most: I stayed home sick on Friday - I called in to see if my substitute that was there on Thursday could sub for me on Friday (that way I wouldnt' have to go in to do sub plans, she could just follow the same routine)...Great, she could :)  So I was doing the district a favor here...but what gets me is that we had a snow day on Friday - so guess what...I LOST MY SICK DAY.  Yup, I was home on a "sick day" with my children and Josh was home on a "snow day" with his family.  DUMB...worst part, I have Dr. notes...

Anyway...Our weekend pretty much sucked - all 3 kids are now sick and all 3 kids are now being treated on a 5 day antibiotic (I have a nice organized system for remembering who gets what meds at what time, so that is helpful...and no, I did not find this on pinterest....I came up with this on my own!). 

On Sunday, my mom and dad came down in the afternoon (literally they came down from like 3:00-8:00 - THANK YOU) just so Josh and I could take a mini break and go on a date.  We were basically living roommates this past week - never saw each other, were dealing with sick kids when we did see each other, and slept in the same bed.  Thank you so much mom and dad for coming down for that short time to let us be .... well, us :)  It was a very nice few hours away!

On Monday morning, I had the day off & Josh had to work (his 45/15 schedule) so I was home with the kids anyway.  On Tuesday; however, Josh's turn to stay home with the kids...Callie was finally feeling better, so she went to Jessica's while he took the boys into Urgent Care.  Collin was seen by an U.C. doctor, but Carter had to be seen by an ER doctor, because his oxygen levels were low.  They did an xray on Carter and decided that he had RSV and told Josh there wasn't a ton they could do with RSV but to watch him closely.  Great - thanks for that.

On Wednesday, guess what...I stayed home again!  ARG!  My mom came back down on Tuesday night and was going to help me out all day Wednesday.   Callie went to daycare again (she's doing awesome) and I stayed home with my two knuckleheads!  We had Arizona Cleaning come out and clean our vents - turns out this was the first time our house had ever been cleaned...EVER (1960 home people)...  Then my mom set of a Clorox BOMB in the bedrooms - seriously, this woman can clean like a crazy lady!  We rearranged Callie's bedroom, she washed absolutely EVERYTHING and got everything nice and clean :)  I entertained the boys :)  And I helped her when they slept (which they took rock star naps)...Things were really starting to go well for them, and we were really noticing that they seemed to have been doing better - even Carter, who was worse the day before!  My mom went home Wednesday night - again, thank you so much for coming down when I needed you :)

We decided that all 3 kids were going to go to daycare on Thursday :)  YEAH!  Thursday morning we woke up and Collin was REALLY struggling to breathe.  He was gasping and coughing and it was just plain horrible.  Without a question - I threw on clothes very quickly, dropped Callie & Carter off at daycare and Collin & I went to the hospital.  I was expecting to be seen in Urgent Care, but his oxygen levels were reading at 93 (supposed to be 95 for "safe zone", but 99-100% is best).  So they put him in ER.  To make a long story short - here's the next few hours:

* They gave Collin 1 nubulizer treatment
* Took his Oxygen levels again and he had dropped to 92%
* Gave him another neb treatment with albuterol and a steroid
* Dr. came in and told me that we could go home but to continue the nebulizer every 4 hours
* Nurse came in with discharge papers. 
* I asked her to check his oxygen levels one more time for my own peace of mind....
* Collin's oxygen levels had dropped to 86%
* Collin was put on Oxygen for about an hour and half
* Oxygen levels were tested again...Dropped to 78%


Collin was then admitted to the hospital and we were spending the night.  In my mind, I always imagined a moment when I was told that my child was being admitted that I would break into tears and be an emotional wreck, but I 100% surprised myself.  No tears, only complete confidence! 

Way to go me :)

I knew in my heart that this was the absolute best for Collin!  He needed the care of a hospital with the love of his mommy :)  Now, try containing an extremely curious 9 month old baby boy who is on the move and FAST!  I was not about to let him crawl all over the floors (gross), so he stayed on the bed with me or in his cage...I mean crib :)  They did bring in an exersaucer for him to jump around in...

The downfall was not only trying to contain him and keep him happy, but he needed to have oxygen blowing in his face the whole time.  This job was much harder than it sounds.  A huge thank you to Jessica for keeping Callie & Carter longer.  She drove Callie to dance class and brought them back to my house....because guess who came to the rescue in no time!  Yup, my mom drove back down without question.  She cancelled a few things she had going on and headed to Austin to help with Callie and Carter.  It was so nice not to have to worry about them, to worry about them being loved and cared for.  Josh had to work and then he had basketball.  I know he could have missed basketball, but everyone was accounted for so we were good!

See, he's not always super happy!  He HATED the oxygen mask :( :( :(  This broke my heart...but I still captured a picture!

Collin's oxygen levels were pretty consistently in the low 90's, but they were hopeful he'd improve by morning.
 I'm FREE!  I can crawl around and climb in here!

Friday morning, Collin's pediatrician seemed VERY hopeful that he was going to go home!  His oxygen levels looked really good (high 90's!)...but was going to come back at noon to check one last time before sending him home.

Well, Collin decided to stop eating his bottles and to have very few wet diapers (they were weighing ever diaper...I was very quick to push the nurse call button whenever he had a super stinky diaper...I wanted that OUT of our room!).  They checked his oxygen levels around noon and he had dropped into the 80's again.  Next step - Collin needed to be put back on oxygen and he needed to have an IV put in...but only 40 drops per hour...so it was pretty slow moving.

 Oxygen tube blowing on him (blue tube), IV in foot, oxygen levels at 89% (you can see the #'s to the right)

 I sure got a lot of snuggles :)

 Flirting with the nurses - I loved these two!  He had them wrapped around his cute little finger :)  He kept removing the mask from the one on the left...(right pictured below)...I think he liked her!

 I finally laid sheets all over the floor and let him crawl around!  He loved the freedom, but I had to follow behind him with the darn IV!

 Why not make a tent :)

He was getting very ansy and sick of being in the hospital - as was I!  Daddy came and visited as often as he could (in the morning, lunch breaks and before heading out for basketball).  Thank you Jessica for coming and visiting!  Collin was SO excited to see you and LOVED his little "get well snack pack" you brought him!  Also, thank you to Marcia for coming and visiting!  Our church family is so wonderful and supportive!  Thank you Lisa D. for coming to the rescue!  She came and sat with Collin (while he was asleep of course) so I could run home, play with Callie and Carter and freshen up!  Callie and Carter were so excited to see me - as I was to see them :)  I seriously have amazing kids!

Anyway - Josh relieved Lisa and I went to spend the night again!

Saturday morning Collin was examined again and was finally given the go ahead to head home.  Honestly, I think he turned around because of the IV.  He was a completely different boy after that IV. 

Thank you to the Langemo family for taking Callie with you to Rochester to go to the MN Children's Museum!  She not only had an absolute blast with your family, but she was given some extremely positive attention while being involved in some fun experiences!  Because Carter also has RSV, he was able to come into the hospital.  What a fun reunion that was for the two boys :) They were so excited to see each other!

My mom went home on Saturday and Josh and I spend the rest of our weekend tending to our sick children!  Thankfully today, Tuesday March 5, was a snow day!  This was the first day in two weeks that we were able to really enjoy our children and give them the fun loving attention they need!  This included things like, playing, going OUTSIDE, dancing around, laughing until our bellies hurt, etc...

I hope I didn't just jinx myself my admitting they're doing better!

Thank you family and friends for all of your prayers...they were answered...God is sure good :)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.